
The Delhi government has removed about 14 lakh metric tonnes of silt from drains till March, Flood Control Minister Parvesh Sahib Singh said on Friday.
The minister was inspecting pre-monsoon drain desilting work near the Barapullah drain being carried out by the irrigation and flood control department.
“From day one, our government has been working to ensure that drain desilting work is being carried out properly. We plan to increase our target of silt removal this year,” Singh said.
“Last year, we removed approximately 20 lakh metric tonnes of silt from all the drains. This year, we target to remove 28 lakh metric tonnes of silt,” he said.
Singh claimed that 50 per cent of the target set for this year has been completed and the remaining silt will be removed in the coming few days.
A day earlier, while reviewing monsoon preparedness, Chief Minister Rekha Gupta had directed all departments to complete desilting before June 30 and ensure that the removed silt is transported to designated sites.
On International Biodiversity Day, recent bird censuses, ecological studies, and conservation reports point to a…
LG Taranjit Singh Sandhu stresses smart mobility, sustainable growth and integrated planning to transform Delhi…
Delhi Police arrest proclaimed offender accused in rape, POCSO case after evading court proceedings since…
Delhi government plans to develop 100 “oxygen parks” with dense tree cover to combat pollution…
Top court grants six-month interim bail to two Delhi riots accused and refers to a…
Delhi Police intensifies patrolling, vehicle checks and community outreach meetings across the capital ahead of…