Delhi NCR

‘Cruelty to children…’: Delhi HC refuses to quash FIR

Published by
PTI

Delhi HC: The Delhi High Court has refused to quash an FIR in a case of cruelty towards a minor and said such crimes against children affect the society’s conscience at large and can’t be merely treated as private disputes.

In June 2023, the child’s mother alleged that her child was physically abused by her neighbours, namely, Amit and his wife Surestha, who beat him up and subjected him to electric shocks.

Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma in an order on July 3 said though the child’s mother and the accused persons settled the matter among themselves, such acts not only impacted the victim but also raised broader concerns of public interest, safety and protection of children.

The accused had moved court for quashing of the FIR registered in 2023 on cruelty charges at Govindpuri Police Station in the capital.

Also Read: Seven Delhi Police officers arrested for corruption cases this year

The petition underscored the amicable settlement of the dispute by the warring parties.

The child’s mother informed the court that she had entered into compromise on her own free will and without any pressure, coercion or threat.

The prosecution, however, opposed the petition, arguing the allegations were serious and the victim was only a 7-year-old boy at the time of the incident.

“Such acts, prima facie, not only impact the individual victim but also raise broader concerns relating to public interest, safety as well as the protection of children. Therefore, such offences cannot be treated as mere private disputes capable of being quashed solely on the basis of a subsequent settlement between the parties,” the court said.

Quashing the FIR at this stage would set a dangerous precedent and defeat the administration of criminal justice, it added.

The judge referred to the child’s “specific” allegations and “consistent” statements which clearly narrated the sequence of events.

“The victim was merely 7 years old at the time of the alleged incident, and the psychological trauma and fear inflicted upon a child of such tender age cannot be trivialised or disregarded merely on the ground that the instrument used for electrocution was a torch,” the order read.

Also Read: Sisson House and Haryana Canal Rest House wait to welcome their new neighbour-Delhi CM

The court added, “Bearing in mind the seriousness of the allegations, the age of the victim, and the need to allow the law to take its own course.”

The judge noted that the parties had previously too entered into a settlement, but the complainant appeared before the court and refused to compromise the matter with the accused persons.

PTI

Published by
PTI
Tags: Delhi HC

Recent Posts

Akash Lal: Cricketer, selector, commentator and chronicler of the game

The former Delhi and North Zone captain, who died aged 85, belonged to a distinguished…

August 20, 2026

Moderate rain likely in Delhi

Delhi records minimum temperature of 25°C as moderate rain is likely, with AQI remaining in…

August 20, 2026

Delhi govt promotes, gives new postings to 111 officials to improve service delivery

Delhi government promotes and reassigns 111 DASS officials, with key postings in health, education, revenue…

August 19, 2026

One dead, five injured as truck’s gas cylinder explodes at CNG station in Delhi

One person was killed and five others injured after a truck’s gas cylinder exploded while…

August 19, 2026

Around 95% of power consumers in Delhi pay electricity bills digitally: Discoms

Digital payment adoption has risen sharply among Delhi’s power consumers, with nearly 95 per cent…

August 19, 2026

Alchemy of Colors: An art exhibition supporting education of underprivileged girls

Contemporary artist Nikita Agarwal’s solo exhibition explores colour, emotion and human connection, with proceeds supporting…

August 19, 2026