Delhi NCR

Delhi building collapse: 2 more bodies recovered, toll climbs to 5

Published by
Patriot Bureau

The death toll in the collapse of a four-storey building in north Delhi’s Burari area has risen to five, including two girls, police said on Tuesday.

The newly-constructed building, located near Oscar Public School, collapsed late on Monday. Rescue teams have so far pulled out 12 survivors and retrieved five bodies from the debris, officials stated.

The victims have been identified as Saadhna (17) and seven-year-old Radhika. The identities of the other three victims, all men, are yet to be confirmed.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), Raja Banthia, said the rescue operation is ongoing, with fears that more people remain trapped under the rubble.

Delhi Police received information about the collapse around 7 pm on Monday. The building, spanning 200 square yards, had recently been constructed.

A massive rescue effort involving the Delhi Police, Fire Services, and the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was launched immediately after the incident.

“The rescue operation continues, and the area has been cordoned off. We are collecting details from locals to ascertain how many people might still be trapped,” Banthia said.

An investigation is underway, and legal action is being taken against the building’s owner.

Also Read: 2 girls among 3 killed in Delhi’s Burari building collapse

The area’s Subdivisional Magistrate, acting as the incident commander, has ordered the evacuation of nearby buildings for structural safety checks. The restricted zone has been sealed off to prevent entry.

Rescue efforts are expected to continue until Wednesday morning, with officials ensuring the rubble is thoroughly searched for any remaining victims.

“Those rescued are being referred to higher medical facilities based on their condition. Initially, patients were shifted to Burari Hospital but later referred to LNJP Hospital,” Banthia added.

AAP MLA Sanjeev Jha announced compensation of Rs 10 lakh for each adult victim and Rs 5 lakh for the families of minor victims. He urged the central government to announce compensation as well.

At the site, family members of the trapped victims waited anxiously for updates.

Md Bariq, whose brother Md Sarfaraz was among those trapped, recounted his ordeal: “We’ve been here since last night, waiting without food or water. He hasn’t been found yet.”

Md Arif, whose elder brother Md Quadir was on the third floor of the building when it collapsed, said, “We are praying he is safe.”

Witnesses described the scene as terrifying, with a loud noise and a cloud of dust filling the air.

Delhi Chief Minister Atishi expressed sorrow over the incident, saying all possible assistance would be provided to those affected. “Speedy relief and rescue operations are underway,” she said.

The tragedy has left locals and rescue teams working tirelessly to save lives and bring clarity to the chaotic aftermath.

Meanwhile, the Delhi government on Tuesday announced compensation for victims of the building collapse.

Announcing relief measures at the site, AAP MLA Sanjeev Jha said, “This is an unfortunate incident. The NDRF team is continuously working, and 16 rescues have already been made. I hope no more mishaps occur. However, those responsible will not be spared.”

He mentioned that the government has announced Rs 10 lakh compensation for families of deceased adults (if any) and Rs 5 lakh for the families of the deceased minors. Additionally, Rs 2 lakh will be given to the seriously injured and Rs 50,000 to those with minor injuries.”

The AAP MLA further urged people to refrain from politicising the tragedy and commended the ongoing rescue operations.

(With inputs from PTI)

Patriot Bureau

Published by
Patriot Bureau

Recent Posts

Delhi govt promotes, gives new postings to 111 officials to improve service delivery

Delhi government promotes and reassigns 111 DASS officials, with key postings in health, education, revenue…

August 19, 2026

One dead, five injured as truck’s gas cylinder explodes at CNG station in Delhi

One person was killed and five others injured after a truck’s gas cylinder exploded while…

August 19, 2026

Around 95% of power consumers in Delhi pay electricity bills digitally: Discoms

Digital payment adoption has risen sharply among Delhi’s power consumers, with nearly 95 per cent…

August 19, 2026

Alchemy of Colors: An art exhibition supporting education of underprivileged girls

Contemporary artist Nikita Agarwal’s solo exhibition explores colour, emotion and human connection, with proceeds supporting…

August 19, 2026

ACB seeks 14-day judicial custody of former Delhi minister Satyendar Jain

ACB seeks 14-day judicial custody of Satyendar Jain and four others in sewage treatment plant…

August 19, 2026

Major reshuffle in top police posts in Delhi ahead of BRICS Summit

Delhi Police reshuffles senior officers ahead of the BRICS Summit, with changes in traffic, security,…

August 19, 2026