Delhi NCR

Delhi HC grants bail to Thar driver who mowed down two in Chanakyapuri

Published by
PTI

The Delhi High Court has granted bail to the driver of a speeding Thar who allegedly mowed down two persons in Chanakyapuri in August last year.

Justice Manoj Jain directed that Ashish Bachchas be released on bail considering his young age, absence of previous antecedents and “overall facts of the case”.

The car of the 26-year-old accused allegedly ran down two persons around 6.30 am on August 10, last year near Gate Number 3 of Talkatora Stadium.

The court observed that a chargesheet had been filed and the case was now listed for consideration on charges on April 8.

” Keeping in mind the overall facts of the case and the young age of the applicant coupled with the fact that he has no previous antecedents, the applicant is directed to be released on bail on his furnishing personal bond in a sum of Rs. 25,000/- with one surety of like amount, subject to satisfaction of learned Trial Court/CJM/Duty Magistrate,” said the court in the order passed on February 19.

Bachchas was arrested by the Delhi Police at the spot on the day of the incident.

According to the police, ganja weighing 21.26 gm, tobacco weighing 15.49 gm, cocaine weighing 0.30 gm, charas weighing 4.17 gm, MD weighing 23.47 gm and LSD weighing 2.6 gm were also recovered from the vehicle.

The petitioner’s counsel said while there was no clarity on whether the contraband alleged to be LSD was in fact LSD, the other substances were in ‘small quantity’ or ‘intermediate quantity’ and, therefore, there was no restriction on bail.

The petitioner was represented by advocates Ujwal Ghai, Bhanu Malhotra and Rishabh Atri.

The Delhi Police counsel opposed the bail plea and submitted that multiple contrabands were recovered and although an FSL report was awaited with respect to the recovery of LSD, it could not be presumed that the substance was not LSD.

Also Read: Early gains fade as Delhi records rise in road accident deaths in 2025

He, however, admitted that the quantity of other contraband fell within the ambit of ‘small’ or ‘intermediate quantity’.

PTI

Published by
PTI
Tags: delhi

Recent Posts

MCD plans unified policy for RWAs to adopt, maintain Delhi parks

Municipal Corporation of Delhi plans a unified policy enabling RWAs to adopt and maintain parks…

February 20, 2026

Delhi: Teenager ends life by jumping in front of moving rail at Uttam Nagar East Metro station

A 17-year-old boy allegedly died by suicide after jumping before a moving train at Uttam…

February 20, 2026

Delhi: Two arrested for fatally stabbing man in Rohini during robbery bid

Two Rohini men arrested for fatally stabbing one person and injuring another during a robbery…

February 20, 2026

Worked on all sectors to bring positive change, says Delhi CM on govt’s first anniversary

Rekha Gupta marks one year in office, highlighting welfare schemes, infrastructure work, and governance reforms…

February 20, 2026

Gang of robbers busted in Delhi, 4 held

Four men, including the alleged mastermind, were arrested for luring a shopper with fake cash…

February 20, 2026

3-year-old girl raped, killed in Gurugram; accused neighbour arrested

A neighbour was arrested after allegedly luring, raping, and strangling a three-year-old girl in Gurugram,…

February 20, 2026