Delhi NCR

Delhi Police registers FIR over building collapse that killed six

Published by
PTI

Delhi Police: The Delhi Police has registered a case of negligence in connection to the building collapse in northeast Delhi’s Welcome area on Saturday that killed six members of a family and injured eight others, an official said.

The rescue operation at the four-storey building has now concluded, he said.

The deceased include building owner Abdul Matloob (50), his wife Rabia (46), sons Javed (23) and Abdulla (15), daughter Zubia (27), and two-year-old granddaughter Fozia. Their bodies were recovered from the debris and sent to GTB Hospital.

Eight others, including Matloob’s sons Parvez (32), Naved (19), Parvez’s wife Siza and their one-year-old son Ahmad, four members of a neighbouring family, sustained injuries.

“We have registered an FIR of different sections of BNS and launched further investigation into the matter. Multiple teams have been formed to investigate the collapse from all angles,” said the police officer, adding that the rescue operation was concluded.

The family, who ran a dry cleaning business, had recently moved into the 20-year-old building after their previous home in Gautampuri caught fire earlier this year.

Locals, many of whom were out for morning walks, rushed to help before fire officials arrived. Seven fire tenders were deployed, and NDRF also joined the operation. The building housed an anganwadi on the ground floor, which was closed at the time of the incident.

Read more

Sheesh Mahal reopens, but restoration exercise yet to be concluded

On a humid Sunday morning in Shalimar Bagh, the air hung thick with the scent of wet clay and dust. The narrow pathway leading to the Sheesh Mahal, once a glittering jewel of Mughal architecture, was cluttered with construction tools and freshly laid red tiles, still soft underfoot. Labourers rested under the shade of neem trees, taking a break from the relentless work, while their children played barefoot nearby, darting between piles of bricks and sacks of cement. From behind the monument, a group of local children emerged through a densely wooded park, slipping through the iron fencing unnoticed. There was no guard to stop them.

PTI

Published by
PTI
Tags: delhi police

Recent Posts

Delhi govt promotes, gives new postings to 111 officials to improve service delivery

Delhi government promotes and reassigns 111 DASS officials, with key postings in health, education, revenue…

August 19, 2026

One dead, five injured as truck’s gas cylinder explodes at CNG station in Delhi

One person was killed and five others injured after a truck’s gas cylinder exploded while…

August 19, 2026

Around 95% of power consumers in Delhi pay electricity bills digitally: Discoms

Digital payment adoption has risen sharply among Delhi’s power consumers, with nearly 95 per cent…

August 19, 2026

Alchemy of Colors: An art exhibition supporting education of underprivileged girls

Contemporary artist Nikita Agarwal’s solo exhibition explores colour, emotion and human connection, with proceeds supporting…

August 19, 2026

ACB seeks 14-day judicial custody of former Delhi minister Satyendar Jain

ACB seeks 14-day judicial custody of Satyendar Jain and four others in sewage treatment plant…

August 19, 2026

Major reshuffle in top police posts in Delhi ahead of BRICS Summit

Delhi Police reshuffles senior officers ahead of the BRICS Summit, with changes in traffic, security,…

August 19, 2026