Delhi NCR

FIR filed, several detained as police probe if violence during Delhi demolition drive was planned

Published by
PTI

The Delhi Police on Wednesday registered an FIR and detained several people in connection with the violence that erupted during an anti-encroachment drive near the Syed Faiz Elahi Mosque in Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan area, an official said.

At least five police personnel were injured after some people allegedly pelted stones and glass bottles at the force when the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) was carrying out a court-mandated demolition on land adjoining the mosque and a nearby graveyard.

Tear gas shells were fired to disperse the crowd and restore order.

Also Read:Delhi records first cold day of 2026 amid dense fog

While efforts are on to identify those involved in the stone-pelting incident, police is also also probing whether the violence was spontaneous or a pre-planned attempt to disrupt the demolition drive, the official added.

Senior police officers said CCTV footage and video clips circulating on social media are being analysed to identify the miscreants. Statements of witnesses and detained persons are also being recorded as part of the investigation.

Meanwhile, an MCD official clarified that Syed Faiz Elahi Mosque was not damaged during the demolition drive.

The civic body said the demolition drive was carried out in compliance with directions of the Delhi High Court.

As part of the operation, around 30 bulldozers and 50 dumpers were deployed to clear encroachments and remove debris from the site, it said.

Over 300 MCD workers and officials were engaged in the drive, which continued through the night, MCD officials said.

The demolition resulted in the clearance of a large encroached area, including structures that had been declared illegal by the court.

The police said law and order arrangements remain in place in the area as a precautionary measure.

“The situation is under control and normalcy has been restored,” a senior officer said, adding that strict legal action will be taken against those found involved in the violence.

Further investigation in the case is underway.

PTI

Published by
PTI

Recent Posts

Delhi’s master plan proposes solar, hydro power generation from canals, drains

Delhi's draft Master Plan 2047 proposes using canals and drains for solar and hydro power…

August 18, 2026

Delhi govt to launch 200 new E-buses, ladies special from DU

The new fleet will include 56 Ladies Special and 26 University Ladies Special trips on…

August 18, 2026

Over 30-40% voters in 47 Delhi assembly seats to be removed from draft rolls

More than 47 lakh voters, nearly one-third of Delhi's electorate, are set to be left…

August 18, 2026

Delhi HC denies default bail to 2025 Red Fort car bomb blast accused

The court dismissed Jasir Bilal Wani’s plea, saying he was not entitled to default bail…

August 18, 2026

‘History-sheeters’ infiltrated July 20 protest, 240 cops injured: Delhi Police to SC

Delhi Police tells SC that the July 20 protest was infiltrated by alleged anti-social elements…

August 18, 2026

Two years after 14 deaths, Asha Kiran remains overcrowded and understaffed

Transfers and a Rs 5.34 crore infrastructure upgrade have reduced occupancy, but the Rohini shelter…

August 18, 2026