Delhi NCR

NGT directs Delhi govt to pay Rs 2,232 cr fine for improper management of solid and liquid waste

Published by
Patriot Bureau

The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the Delhi government to pay Rs 2,232 crore as environmental compensation for improper management of solid and liquid waste.

A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice A K Goel said there were gaps in the management of solid and liquid waste in the national capital.

“On the pattern of compensation awarded in respect of other states (at the rate of Rs 2 crore per million litres per day (MLD) of untreated sewage and Rs 300 per tonne of untreated legacy waste), compensation of Rs 3,132 crore is liable to be levied on the Delhi government — Rs 990 crore for solid waste and Rs 2,142 crore for solid waste,” the bench, also comprising judicial members Justice Sudhir Agarwal and Justice Arun Kumar Tyagi along with expert members A Senthil Vel and Afroz Ahmad, said.

Deducting the compensation for solid waste already levied (Rs 900 crore), the remaining amount of Rs 2,232 crore has to be paid by the city government on the “polluter pays” principle, the bench said.

The amount has to be used for tackling the “emergent situation prevailing in Delhi, posing danger to the safety of the citizens,” and for remedying the continuing damage to the environment, the bench added.

“This payment will be the responsibility of the chief secretary, Delhi and the payment be made within one month and credited to a separate ring-fenced account,” it said.

The tribunal had, in October last year, directed the Delhi government to pay Rs 900 crore as environmental compensation, following which the authorities concerned had filed a review petition.

“The issue of emergency situation of failure to tackle legacy waste as per the Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016 was earlier considered by this tribunal…whereby liability for compensation for failure to scientifically handle solid waste was determined at Rs 900 crore, which does not appear to have been paid so far as review applications have been filed, which are being disposed of by separate orders today,” the NGT said.

“The amount may now be paid with the additional amount of Rs 2,232 crore,” the tribunal said.

(With PTI inputs)

Patriot Bureau

Published by
Patriot Bureau

Recent Posts

New Delhi Declaration on AI Impact adopted; US, UK, China among signatories

On the principle of 'Sarvajan Hitaya, Sarvajan Sukhaya' -- Welfare for all, Happiness for all…

February 21, 2026

How to look for missing kin in Delhi: a guide

With hundreds reported missing in Delhi this year, this guide explains how families can use…

February 21, 2026

Delhi: Man dupes divorced woman of gold worth lakhs as prospective groom

The case came to light after a 35-year-old woman from Panipat alleged that she had…

February 21, 2026

Brothers held for stealing cash from shoppers’ carry bags in Delhi market

During the investigation, CCTV footage helped identify the suspects, according to Delhi Police

February 21, 2026

Delhi Police: Lieutenant Governor VK Saxena launches logo for Anti-Narcotics Task Force

The launch took place during the inauguration of the Delhi Police Exhibition Hall at Connaught…

February 21, 2026

Delhi: Factory owner stabbed to death in Narela

The 28-year-old factory owner was taken to Satyawadi Raja Harish Chandra Hospital in Delhi, while…

February 21, 2026