
Delhi Police has said that no barricading, warning signs or security guard were deployed near the 15-feet-deep pit dug on a road in west Delhi’s Janakpuri, which claimed the life of a 25-year-old man who fell into it with his motorcycle in the wee hours of Friday.
According to the FIR, the pit had been dug by the Delhi Jal Board (DJB) and its contractor on Professor Joginder Singh Marg near the Andhra School. It was left open without any safety arrangements to alert road users.
“There was no barricading, no warning sign or security guard deployed at the site despite the pit being dug in the middle of the road,” the FIR said.
Also Read: The gardeners behind the bloom at Amrit Udyan
Police said a spot inspection conducted after the accident indicated that the authorities concerned were aware of the excavation work but failed to ensure basic safety measures.
“The inspection of the scene clearly suggests that the pit was left open without any protective measures, posing a serious risk to commuters,” the FIR said.
Kamal Dhyani, an employee with a private bank in Rohini, was returning home on the intervening night of Thursday-Friday when he fell into the pit dug for a sewer project with his bike, suffering fatal injuries.
He was taken to the Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital on Friday morning, where doctors declared him dead, police said.
Police have registered a case of culpable homicide against the contractor and officials of the Delhi Jal Board.
The court dismissed Jasir Bilal Wani’s plea, saying he was not entitled to default bail…
Delhi Police tells SC that the July 20 protest was infiltrated by alleged anti-social elements…
Transfers and a Rs 5.34 crore infrastructure upgrade have reduced occupancy, but the Rohini shelter…
Over 47 lakh voters may miss Delhi’s draft roll, with digitisation varying sharply across constituencies
Two 17-year-olds were injured after a banyan tree branch fell on them in Mayur Vihar…
Delhi recorded a minimum temperature of 27.8°C , while the IMD forecast light rain at…