crime

Uttam Nagar case: Social media handles ‘spreading rumours’ face legal action

Published by
PTI

Delhi Police has initiated legal action against several social media accounts for allegedly spreading rumours and circulating misleading content, including a viral video seeking financial donations, in connection with the recent Uttam Nagar murder case, officials said on Friday.

A video that surfaced on social media on March 10 contained a QR code requesting financial assistance from the public using narratives linked to the incident. During verification, it was found that nearly Rs 37 lakh had already been credited to the suspect bank account in the last two days, they said.

“In view of the potential scam that may be played upon the general public, the manager of the concerned bank branch has been informed to block all credit and debit facilities of the said account and freeze the amount deposited by the public,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Dwarka) Kushal Pal Singh said.

He added that the police had taken serious note of misleading and inflammatory content circulating on social media following the March 4 clash in Uttam Nagar that led to the death of a 26-year-old man.

Acting swiftly, police coordinated with multiple social media platforms to ensure the removal of such content, he said.

“So far, 14 take-down requests under Section 79(3)(b) of the IT Act have been sent to social media platform ‘X’, while eight similar requests have been forwarded to Instagram for removal of the identified inflammatory content,” the officer said.

Police said action has also been initiated against individuals operating social media accounts involved in rumour-mongering and spreading unverified information.

Police reiterated that circulating false or misleading information on social media is a punishable offence under relevant provisions of law and warned that strict action would be taken against those attempting to disturb public peace through misinformation.

Earlier, police had clarified that two juveniles and 14 adults had been nabbed in connection with the killing of Tarun, who died during a clash between two groups of neighbours in Uttam Nagar’s JJ Colony during Holi celebrations on March 4.

Officials said the situation in the area remains under control with adequate police deployment on the ground.

PTI

Published by
PTI
Tags: delhi

Recent Posts

An initiative turned craft of Rakhi into livelihood for Nizamuddin women

The artisans have spent over a decade gaining income and independence through rakhi craft, but…

August 22, 2026

Delhi: Nursing student dies by suicide in Rajinder Nagar hostel

The third year nursing student's body was discovered by fellow students, who took her to…

August 22, 2026

6 injured in knife attacks in Delhi’s Mangolpuri: Police

The injured were taken to the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital, with two of them later…

August 22, 2026

Kevin Missal expands his mythological universe with new novel

In Parshuram, Kevin Missal revisits the story of Vishnu’s sixth avatar and discusses the influences…

August 22, 2026

Delhi: Open drains and unguarded pits claim 12 lives in four months

Most victims were children, as recurring drownings exposed inadequate barriers, poor drainage and other lapses

August 21, 2026

Tech enabled gambling network busted in Delhi, 31 arrested

Police arrest 31 people, including alleged mastermind, software developer and fund handlers, after busting a…

August 21, 2026