Delhi NCR

Deaths inside manholes: NGOs call for stricter adherence to ban, scrutiny on contractors

Published by
PTI

Delhi: Despite a nationwide ban on manual scavenging, workers continue to be hired for cleaning sewers often at great risk to their lives, the NGOs working for such workers’ rehabilitation said.

In a tragic incident earlier on Sunday, a 43-year-old worker died and two others were injured while cleaning a sewer in southeast Delhi’s New Friends Colony.

The victim, Panth Lal Chandra, was working on a Delhi Jal Board (DJB) sewer around 5.45 pm on Sunday when the accident occurred, police said in a statement earlier.

Also read: Delhi air dirtiest among Indian megacities by wide margin: CSE report

Yogendra Jha, secretary of the NGO Centre for Social Security Action and Research (CSSAR), called for strict action against those hiring labourers for manual scavenging.

“Manual scavenging is banned in India, yet people continue to do this work without proper protective equipment, risking their lives just to support their families,” he said.

Jha said the government departments often outsource sanitation work to contractors, who, in turn, employ daily wage workers for sewer cleaning.

“The government must establish a dedicated committee to monitor such incidents and take necessary action to prevent further loss of life,” he added.

Centre for Holistic Development (CHD) Executive Director Sunil Kumar Aledia stressed the need for better enforcement of the ban.

“There are machines available for cleaning sewers, yet workers are still being sent into manholes to cut costs. Constant monitoring is essential because manual scavenging continues in the open despite the law,” he said.

Manual scavenging is banned and mandates rehabilitation for those engaged in the practice, according to the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and Their Rehabilitation Act, 2013.

Emergency response teams, including the fire brigade and local police, pulled out the three workers from a manhole in an unconscious state on Sunday. Chandra was declared dead at the hospital.

The police have registered a case under Section 105 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and Sections 7 and 9 of the Manual Scavenging Act.

Also read: Delhi: Massive fire in Dwarka Mor destroys 30 shanties, two factories

There was no immediate response from the Delhi Jal Board regarding the incident.

According to a Rajya Sabha data, approximately 377 people died in various states and Union Territories between 2019 and 2023 due to hazardous cleaning of sewers and septic tanks.

A report by the Press Information Bureau states that around 22 manual scavengers lost their lives in Delhi between 2019 and 2022.

PTI

Published by
PTI
Tags: delhi

Recent Posts

Over 30-40% voters in 47 Delhi assembly seats to be removed from draft rolls

More than 47 lakh voters, nearly one-third of Delhi's electorate, are set to be left…

August 18, 2026

Delhi HC denies default bail to 2025 Red Fort car bomb blast accused

The court dismissed Jasir Bilal Wani’s plea, saying he was not entitled to default bail…

August 18, 2026

‘History-sheeters’ infiltrated July 20 protest, 240 cops injured: Delhi Police to SC

Delhi Police tells SC that the July 20 protest was infiltrated by alleged anti-social elements…

August 18, 2026

Two years after 14 deaths, Asha Kiran remains overcrowded and understaffed

Transfers and a Rs 5.34 crore infrastructure upgrade have reduced occupancy, but the Rohini shelter…

August 18, 2026

SIR: 47 lakh Delhi voters to miss draft roll; minorities constituencies record higher digitisation

Over 47 lakh voters may miss Delhi’s draft roll, with digitisation varying sharply across constituencies

August 18, 2026

Two teenagers injured as tree branch falls in east Delhi, one critical

Two 17-year-olds were injured after a banyan tree branch fell on them in Mayur Vihar…

August 18, 2026