Delhi NCR

Delhi: Resident doctors at GTB Hospital on indefinite strike after patient killed inside ward

Published by
Patriot Bureau

Resident doctors at Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital commenced an indefinite strike on Monday morning but maintained emergency services following the shooting death of a patient during treatment.

A 32-year-old man, Riyazuddin, was shot dead by a teenager inside a ward at GTB Hospital on Sunday in the presence of doctors and relatives. Riyazuddin had been admitted on June 23 for an abdominal infection.

Doctors at the Delhi government-run hospital reported that three doctors were in ward 24 when the assailant pushed a doctor aside and shot Riyazuddin.

The Resident Doctors’ Association (RDA) initiated the strike at 9 am on Monday, keeping emergency services operational, according to RDA president Nitesh Kumar.

The strike, led by junior doctors with support from the Delhi Nursing Federation and other associations, included demands for improved hospital security. Protesters attended only to emergency patients, leaving the outpatient department, laboratories, and other services closed, an RDA member said.

“We are organising everything for the association to remain on strike until the administration and government address our concerns,” a member stated, affirming the RDA’s commitment to their safety demands.

Protesters noted that despite previous agreements, security personnel had not received training and security measures had not been upgraded.

In response to the hospital administration’s request for a meeting, the RDA insisted discussions involve all striking members and be held publicly, not behind closed doors, which the administration opposed.

Also Read: Delhi: 32-year-old patient shot dead inside GTB Hospital

The indefinite strike was declared on Sunday, citing the Delhi government’s failure to address long-standing security concerns.

“Our calls for enhanced security have been ignored, leading to this tragic incident. We will not resume duties until the Delhi government ensures a safe environment,” an RDA spokesperson said.

The strike will persist until significant security improvements are implemented and communicated, the statement added.

The patient’s murder in the hospital ward has been condemned by other medical associations.

Delhi Health Minister Saurabh Bharadwaj announced a security review for all hospitals, pledging zero tolerance for negligence.

The Federation of Resident Doctors Association (FORDA) labeled the incident a “mafia-like killing.”

“The recent violence at GTB Hospital highlights the critical need for better security for doctors,” FORDA president Aviral Mathur said. (With inputs from PTI)

Patriot Bureau

Published by
Patriot Bureau

Recent Posts

Delhi’s stray cattle crisis strains shelters and civic machinery

Uncollected waste draws cattle onto roads, while transport bottlenecks and delayed government funds hamper rescue…

August 20, 2026

Delhi Master Plan 2047 proposes no metro development in Lutyens’ Zone, removal of polluting trades

The plan proposes heritage conservation, restrictions on high-intensity development and removal of polluting trades from…

August 20, 2026

Live-in relationship akin to marriage, parents can’t interfere: Delhi HC

The Delhi High Court has said consenting adults in a live-in relationship have the right…

August 20, 2026

SOCIAL to host She-nanigans, an all-women karaoke night

An all-women evening featuring karaoke, dance-offs, music, food and a complimentary pint at SOCIAL’s Koramangala…

August 20, 2026

Delhi Police arrests interstate arms smuggler, recover 10 illegal firearms

Delhi Police arrest an interstate arms smuggler and recover 10 illegal firearms allegedly meant for…

August 20, 2026

Man stabbed to death after quarrel in Delhi, two held

A 22-year-old man was stabbed to death following a quarrel in Kalyanpuri, with police arresting…

August 20, 2026