Delhi NCR

Unanswered questions remain: Delhi doctors after sentencing in Kolkata rape-and-murder case

Published by
PTI

Doctors in Delhi have raised concerns over “unanswered questions” in the rape-and-murder case of a trainee doctor in Kolkata, even as a local court sentenced the prime accused to life imprisonment until death on Monday.

The case dates back to August 9, 2024, when the body of the post-graduate trainee doctor was found in a seminar hall on the third floor of the state-run R G Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata.

The following day, the Kolkata Police arrested Sanjoy Roy, a civic volunteer, describing him as the sole accused in the case.

On Monday, the Sealdah court sentenced Roy to life imprisonment until death and directed the state to pay Rs 17 lakh as compensation to the victim’s family, rejecting demands for the death penalty saying it was not a “rarest of rare” crime.

Federation of All India Medical Association (FAIMA) chairperson Rohan Krishnan expressed gratitude to the court for delivering the judgment within six months of the incident. However, he pointed out that several questions remain unanswered.

Also read: Delhi: 397 cases of MCC violations lodged ahead of assembly polls

“We are thankful that the court has delivered its final judgment. However, there are many unanswered questions. There might be others involved, either directly or indirectly, who failed in their duty and denied justice to the victim. All those responsible must be held accountable and punished. This is our utmost demand,” Krishnan said.

“I extend my deepest sympathies to the victim’s parents and the entire medical community for standing united in seeking justice. We hope that over time, all unanswered questions in the case will be addressed,” he added.

Calling the case “rarest of rare”, Dhruv Chauhan, a National Council member of the Indian Medical Association (IMA), told PTI, “The heinous murder and rape of the female doctor is one of the most shocking cases India has witnessed. It is practically unbelievable that only one person was involved in it.

“This reflects a failure of the state and central governments’ investigation agencies in identifying other culprits. Hence, justice remains incomplete for her soul, her family and the nation. The convicted individual must be investigated further to expose any others involved.” The incident had sparked outrage among the medical community.

On August 15 last year, doctors in Delhi, including those from major government hospitals, went on an indefinite strike, affecting outpatient services, to demand justice for the victim.

Also read: Interstate illegal firearms syndicate busted, three arrested: Delhi Police

PTI

Published by
PTI
Tags: delhi

Recent Posts

Delhi: Open drains and unguarded pits claim 12 lives in four months

Most victims were children, as recurring drownings exposed inadequate barriers, poor drainage and other lapses

August 21, 2026

Tech enabled gambling network busted in Delhi, 31 arrested

Police arrest 31 people, including alleged mastermind, software developer and fund handlers, after busting a…

August 21, 2026

Polling stations likely to rise in Delhi after SIR rationalisation

Delhi may see more polling stations as the voter cap per booth is reduced to…

August 21, 2026

Over 1,700 swine flu cases logged in Delhi this year amid surge in seasonal influenza infections

Healthcare institutions and concerned officials have been told to keep a close watch on infection…

August 21, 2026

Building norms relaxed for schools, colleges under Delhi Master Plan 2047

Delhi Master Plan 2047 raises FAR for educational institutions and allows taller campuses, while easing…

August 21, 2026

Security heightened at Jantar Mantar in view of proposed anti-reservation protest

Security tightened at Jantar Mantar as police deploy additional personnel and barricades ahead of proposed…

August 21, 2026