Categories: LatestSpecials

No lockdown in Delhi yet

Published by
Kshitij Kumar Ojha

What citizens fear most – being confined to their houses for weeks on end – has been ruled out by the AAP government in view of the ‘low number of patients needing hospitalisation.’

As per Satyendra Jain, the Health Minister of Delhi, Covid cases are expected to touch the 20,000 mark on Saturday. Today, the capital reported 48 cases of the Omicron variant of Covid, taking the total number of cases of the new variant to 513 in the city. Among the worst hit are healthcare workers, who have tested positive as well in the capital. Despite this, it seems unlikely that there will be a lockdown announcement just yet, going by his statement.

While Jain had assured on Wednesday that there are enough hospital beds in Delhi to account for the increasing number of Covid-19 patients, the number of patients in city hospitals has seen a dramatic jump of over a 100% in the last couple of days. The data from Delhi’s government health bulletin revealed that as of Wednesday, there are 708 Covid patients admitted in city hospitals.

As per an order issued by the Health and Family Welfare Department of the state government, the Delhi government took note of the rising hospitalisations and has directed nine hospitals to increase their total Covid bed capacity from the existing 3,316 to 4,350 on Wednesday evening.

 

Weekend curfews and night curfews have been imposed as precautionary steps. Cover : Getty Images

The nine hospitals are Indira Gandhi Hospital, Lok Nayak Hospital, Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, Burari Hospital, Rajiv Gandhi Super Specialty Hospital, Ambedkar Nagar Hospital, Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital, Deep Chand Bandhu Hospital, and Dr Baba Saheb Ambedkar Hospital. As per the Delhi Corona mobile app, as of 5:45 pm on Saturday, 87 ICU beds with ventilators have been occupied out of the total 1,673. A total of 291 ICU beds are also occupied while a total of 1,531 oxygen beds have also been taken.

 According to the claims made by the health department, the occupancy rate right now is 10%, which is significantly lower than the 15% during the Delta wave last year.

It’s to be noted that in view of the rising number of cases, the Delhi government on Wednesday had issued an order canceling the leaves of all the state government officials. “Delhi government directs to cancel all leaves granted, except medical leave, to all officers, officials, and staff in all departments of State government and further directed no leave except medical leave shall be granted, nor allowed to leave the station, until further orders,” a statement said.

In the last one week, reports of several healthcare workers testing positive have come out.

On being asked if the government is considering a lockdown in the city in view of that and the rising cases, Jain on Thursday said that there is no plan of a lockdown yet, as the city already has taken stringent steps that includes night curfew and weekend curfew. These, according to Jain, should be sufficient for the time being.

 

 

Kshitij Kumar Ojha

Published by
Kshitij Kumar Ojha

Recent Posts

New Delhi Declaration on AI Impact adopted; US, UK, China among signatories

On the principle of 'Sarvajan Hitaya, Sarvajan Sukhaya' -- Welfare for all, Happiness for all…

February 21, 2026

How to look for missing kin in Delhi: a guide

With hundreds reported missing in Delhi this year, this guide explains how families can use…

February 21, 2026

Delhi: Man dupes divorced woman of gold worth lakhs as prospective groom

The case came to light after a 35-year-old woman from Panipat alleged that she had…

February 21, 2026

Brothers held for stealing cash from shoppers’ carry bags in Delhi market

During the investigation, CCTV footage helped identify the suspects, according to Delhi Police

February 21, 2026

Delhi Police: Lieutenant Governor VK Saxena launches logo for Anti-Narcotics Task Force

The launch took place during the inauguration of the Delhi Police Exhibition Hall at Connaught…

February 21, 2026

Delhi: Factory owner stabbed to death in Narela

The 28-year-old factory owner was taken to Satyawadi Raja Harish Chandra Hospital in Delhi, while…

February 21, 2026