With Navratri, the capital city is aglow with the warmth of the festive fervor, creating a mesmerizing scene that captivate both locals and visitors alike.
On October 24, several areas in Delhi will see Dussehra melas where people will get to enjoy the festival with excitement and grandeur and watch Ravan dahan.
On the eve of Dussehra, effigies of the ten-headed demon king Ravana are set ablaze, marking the triumph of good over evil.
From iconic venues like Ramlila Maidan to neighborhood parks, each location hosts elaborate setups depicting the legendary battle between Lord Rama and the demon king Ravana.
Towering figures of Ravana, Meghnad, and Kumbhakarna, adorned with colorful embellishments, stand tall against the evening sky. Craftsmen and artists invest weeks of meticulous effort to ensure these effigies are not just symbolic but also visually striking.
Here is a list of famous Ravan Dahan events in Delhi:
1. Red Fort Ground: The Lav Kush Ramlila Committee, established in 1979, is renowned for its longstanding tradition of Ravan dahan. The Red Fort ground, under its aegis, becomes an iconic venue, especially noted for its grand festivities.
2. Ramlila Ground, Ajmeri Gate: The Ravana dahan event hosted by Shri Ram Lila committee draws people in large numbers to witness the burning of the giant effigies of the three antagonists of the epic Ramayana.
3. JLN stadium: Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium hosts wonderful Dussehra celebrations in South Delhi. Fireworks takes place after effigies of Ravana, Meghnad and Kumbhakarna are lit up.
4. DDA Grounds, Patparganj: For residents in and around Patparganj, Dussehra evening can be spent by watching the towering effigies of the three demons burn into ashes at this ground.
5. Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra: The Ramlila and Ravan dahan takes place on a huge stage and has more space and better crowd management. The event that takes place here is one of the oldest and Ravan dahan has been celebrated for 62 years now. It was also once aired on television and thus gained popularity.