Seven arrested for beating man to death on suspicion of theft in Delhi

- September 28, 2023
| By : Patriot Bureau |

A video purportedly of the incident shows the victim, Isar, tied to an electricity pole, with people beating him up with sticks

(Representational photo)

Seven individuals, including a juvenile, have been arrested in the Sunder Nagri case where 26-year-old man was tied to a pole and beaten to death in northeast Delhi.

This incident occurred on Tuesday, and the victim, Isar, succumbed to his injuries later the same day, said the police.

The accused have been identified as Kamal (23), Manoj (19), Kishan (19), Pappu (24), Lucky (19), all residents of Sunder Nagri, and Yunus (20), a resident of Garima Garden in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, they said.

A distressing video of the incident has emerged, showing Isar tied to an electricity pole while being mercilessly beaten with sticks. Despite pleas for mercy and one person urging them not to continue, the attackers continued their assault, accompanied by verbal abuse.

Isar, the victim, was specially-abled, said Deputy Commissioner of Police (northeast) Joy Tirkey. According to Tirkey, when Isar was unable to answer the questions posed by local residents, they resorted to tying him to a pole and brutally assaulting him with sticks.

He said that a murder case has been registered based on a complaint from Abdul Wajid, a fruit vendor and resident of Sunder Nagri, alleging that his son Isar died due to a severe beating by some individuals who suspected him of theft.

According to Wajid, when he returned home at around 6:30 pm on Tuesday, he found his son outside in agonising pain with visible injuries all over his body. Isar reportedly informed his father that around 5 am, some men accused him of theft, tied him to a pole, and subjected him to a brutal beating, he added.

Their neighbor, Aamir, later brought Isar home in a rickshaw around 3 pm. Tragically, Isar succumbed to his injuries at approximately 7 pm, prompting his father to make a PCR call at around 10:45 pm, DCP said.

The accused have informed the police that they encountered Isar at around 5 am, became suspicious of him lurking in the area, and started questioning him. When he was unable to provide satisfactory answers, they tied him to an electric pole and subjected him to a violent assault, according to the DCP.

The victim’s post-mortem examination took place at Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) Hospital on Wednesday, revealing blunt-force injuries throughout his body. The cause of death was determined to be shock and haemorrhage.

Police are currently investigating the involvement of other potential suspects in this tragic incident, and the investigation is ongoing. (With inputs from PTI)