Six killed as fire breaks out at Delhi home after mosquito coil tips over

- March 31, 2023
| By : Patriot Bureau |

Three others are injured in the incident


Tragedy struck a family in northeast Delhi’s Shastri Park on Friday, as six people, including a one-and-a-half-year-old child, were killed and three others sustained injuries in a fire incident, according to the police.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (Northeast) Joy Tirkey said that the police were informed about the fire at around 9 am, following which they rushed to the house located at Mazar Wala Road in Shastri Park’s Machhi Market. On reaching the spot, they found that nine people had been taken to Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital.

Unfortunately, four men, a woman, and the toddler could not be saved and were declared dead. The police said that a 15-year-old girl and a 45-year-old man are undergoing treatment for burn injuries, while a 22-year-old man has been discharged after receiving first aid.

The police believe that the fire was caused by a burning mosquito coil that had tipped over on a mattress during the night. The residents lost consciousness due to the toxic fumes before ultimately succumbing to suffocation. The police are currently investigating the incident further.

Upon receiving information about the blaze, the Fire department immediately dispatched three water tenders to the spot. (With inputs from PTI)